^^nature^s way^^

COP26 Many lens

January 11, 2022
Image of a sign presented at the COP conference 2021

An account of experiences written by one of the Nature’s Way team on the UN Climate Change Conference, 2021.  

COP26 Glasgow Pilgrimage

I had the intention of attending the 26th United Nations Council of Parties in Glasgow for a while, colloquially known as COP26.  It is no understatement to say that I returned from this ‘pilgrimage’ a different person.  

If you know Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth, and the Hero’s journey – I came back with the ‘elixir’ for nature and stories that will motivate me to the right actions aligning with my values and challenges we face – Climate and ecological disasters and economic and mental health pandemics.

DEAD or ALIVE

Inspired by many events including the David Middleton Sustainability Conference that I support, nature is vitally important to me. Well all of us really.  We are totally utterly dependent upon it. 

Nature provides everything important in our lives. 

Without nature; a stable diverse biological system of other interconnected ecosystems – we would simply be dead or living very much more uncomfortable lives – which as I learned at COP many millions of people already do. 

5 highly interesting life-changing talks

I attended 5 engaging talks. All of which were fringe events organised by some delegates who were inside the green and blue zones. 

What made the talks special (as well as on their own merit and value) were the different lens shared that enabled me to empathise and appreciate other people’s views and experiences on the climate and ecological catastrophe that we face. 

Empathy I believe is innate within all of us, but also vital in service design and co-design projects. Hence why this is the essence of this ‘Nature’s Way’ project. As is synthesis of diverse, creative ideas, views and experiences into key insights.

So in a series of blogs, I elaborate on each of these different talks, and share what I learned about nature and myself – returning home with a very different perspective.

Monday 8th November 2021, 415.28 CO2 ppm daily global seasonal cycle

BIPOC – Lens of Indigenous Cultures and Law.

In my very first COP26 talk I attended the Alliance of Mother Nature’s Guardians & Ecocide International panel.  

Despite my own personal challenges (including epilepsy, dyslexia, and PTSD), I know I come from a position of privilege. That made it all the more shocking and heartbreaking to learn about the experiences and views from black indigenous and people of colour from across the planet, which I share with you in my earlier blog.

Tuesday 9th November 2021, 415.33 CO2 ppm daily global seasonal cycle

Lens of enterprise and entrepreneurship

Innovating to Net Zero, I met the charismatic Russell Dalgleish and was met with humbling Scottish hospitality and an array of speakers from across the globe.  Learning about some amazing solutions to the challenge, and learning about how people are looking at the challenges through the lens of commerce, enterprise and entrepreneurship. (Enterprise and entrepreneurship blog can be found here.)

Lens of psychology and faith

Later on Tuesday in the evening I attended a talk titled ‘Healthy Minds Healthy Planet’, discussing the topic of ‘How do our minds affect the planet?’; how contributions to change (nature, climate, planet, mental health) must come from the inside. Speakers included faith representatives of the WHO, ecological and sustainability experts and a former pharmaceutical scientist. 

Thursday 11th November, 415.43 CO2 ppm daily global seasonal cycle

Lens of disability and Inclusion

The Global Disability Hub (GDI Hub) at COP26 discussed disability, resilience and inclusion in our cities.  A subject, having worked in for over 15 years in social care, that is closer to my subject matter of expertise and comfort zone.

Lens of science and research

Later in the evening on Thursday, it was party time. I went to a semi-formal/informal presentation, with food, drinks, music and keynotes from scientists.  Rock and roll!  Learning about the Bunloit Rewilding – Natural Capital Report Launch with a bit of post presentation networking at COP26.

So through each of these lenses, and a short blog, I share how life changing the insights were, through indigenous people, law, commerce, science and faith.

Written by Richard Haynes